The Tremaine-Gallagher House (3001
This elegant building is popularly known
as the Tremaine-Gallagher house. It was built around 1914 for Henry A.
Tremaine, who sold it three years later, furniture and all, to Michael
Gallagher for $350,000 The design suggests both the Second Renaissance
Revival (consider the “Italian villa” aura) and the Beaux-Arts
Classicism (note the sculptural details, double pilasters, etc.). The
eclecticism grows even more vigorous in the interior, which includes an
English Baroque living room, a foyer and main staircase in the Roman style,
and a Egyptian room on the second floor.
Constructed in the East Fairmount development
of the Shaker Improvement Company, the structure features a stuccoed masonry
facade ornamented with decorative white-glazed terra cotta tile. A single-story,
arcaded gallery featuring classical pilasters and garlanding dominates
the symmetrical front elevation. The structure is crowned by a classical
entablature which includes a frieze (highlighted by wall medallions) and
a dramatic cornice surmounted by a parapet with terra cotta facing. Avant-garde
for their time, the building’s original systems included suspended
ceilings, rheostat-controlled colored lighting, and an electrically operated
central vacuum cleaning system with outlets in every room.
The magnificent dwelling was designed by Cleveland-born Frederic William
Striebinger, the architect of other buildings that include the Second
Church of Christ Scientist (1916), the 77TH Street Theater of the Cleveland
Playhouse, and the Woodward Masonic Temple (later the Call and Post Building).
The first Clevelander to have been trained at the famous Ecole Des Beaux
Arts in Paris, Striebinger’s earlier training as a painter was particularly
suited to the pictorialism of the Beaux Arts tradition.