This house was designed by C.E.
Howell of the firm of Howell and Thomas as his home in 1922. Howell and Thomas
were brought to Cleveland by B.R. Deming, who developed the Euclid Golf
Subdivision as an area for medium to large single-family homes on curving
streets with restrictive zoning and control over house plans.
This development occupied the
land previously home to the Euclid Golf Club. The club house was at the present
site of Derbyshire and Norfolk and the course was on the south side of Cedar
between Coventry and Fairmount.
The house is in the Country
French style and noted for its use of details, symmetry and treatment of the
unpainted rough-cast stucco walls. The principal entrance is on the far left
with tooled cement quoins. On the left of the boldly paneled door is an old
elaborate iron lantern (with a center rosette of scrolls and leaves.) Above the
entrance, French doors open onto a wrought-iron balcony. The two French doors
as well as the other features of the front of this house illustrate how the
architect incorporated the best features of 18th-century French and
English residential architecture.
Howell and Thomas exercised the
same care in the use of proportions and period details in laying out the
interior spaces of all their homes, especially living rooms, dining rooms, and
libraries. Among the original features of this house were "back
stairs" in service areas, including kitchens, pantries, and servants'
rooms. Some areas have been remodeled in recent years to accommodate the
special needs of the present owner.
The second owner of the home
was Daniel E. Morgan, whose many accomplishments included first President of
the City Club, second City Manager of Cleveland, and Judge of Ohio Court of
Appeals. A fuller picture of Morgan and his life is found in the book, Daniel E. Morgan, "The Good Citizen in
Politics" by Dr. Thomas F. Campbell.