Influenced by the Tudor Revival style, this large brick house was built
in 1912 and was the first residence built between Colchester and Scarborough
Roads.The original plat of land
extended far behind the houses built later on Colchester Road, and had been
planted with fruit orchards.Interestingly, the interior and exterior structural d■cor of this house
is charmingly unpretentious, unlike similar houses of the same age and size.The ambiance is decidedly spacious and
The owners have occupied the house for a year and a half, and in that
time have refinished the floors and redecorated many of the rooms, including
all main rooms on the first floor.They
have successfully and elegantly combined furnishings from two separate
households to achieve a stunningly sophisticated eclectic d■cor.
Furnishings in the living room and library were combined through
reupholstering of furniture in coordinating fabrics and retrofitting window
treatments from a previous residence.Two
dining room sets have also been combined.
The kitchen has undergone decorative renovation.Cabinets were repainted, and a new counter
was put in.The original maple cabinets
and counters were retained in the butler's pantry; vinyl flooring was taken up
in both kitchen and pantry to reveal the maple planking floor in its original
The house holds many other delights.Chief among them are the spacious and elegant first floor bath, the cozy
maid's room and bath situated off the second floor landing, and the splendidly
furnished nursery.The elegant master
bedroom is graced by a porcelain-tiled fireplace fronted by an antique
screen.The airy sleeping porch adjacent
to this bedroom offers a secluded sitting area during good weather.
Similar careful attention has been paid to the exterior of the house,
and to the back yard in particular, where two perennial beds were designed and
planted by the owners.The side porch
on the first floor and the secluded back yard contribute to the remarkable pastoral
mood of this property situated on a busy street.