This modified prairie-style
home was built in 1913 for Arthur W. Murphy, who was in charge of the
commissary for the Erie Railroad. Designed by Bohnard & Parsson,
one of the leading
architectural firms of the time, it is pictured in Beautiful Homes of
Cleveland, published in 1917.
When the present owners bought
this house three years ago they proceeded to restore it both inside and out,
beginning with a new wood-shingle roof and a restuccoed exterior. The front
door was stripped and refinished, and the original brass fittings restored.
This process was repeated throughout the house. For example, in the living room
the original French doors were restored, as were the brass chandelier and
matching sconces in the dining room.
The centerpiece of the living
area is a beautiful octagonal breakfast room. It has a fireplace, two built-in
corner cupboards with glass doors adorned with typical prairie-style molding,
French doors leading to the back yard, and a mirrored swinging door to the pantry.
The largest renovation project
which the owners embarked upon was the kitchen. After a great deal of research,
they personally undertook to design a French country
kitchen, with plenty of counter
and storage space and light. To that end, a small porch was incorporated into
the original kitchen space. The traditional pantry was left intact, and the
original storage cupboards of yellow pine were restored.
The front yard is a visual
delight, with beds of floribunda roses on either side of the walk leading to
the front door. It speaks to much work and careful planning by the owners.