A stately Georgian-style house
designed by the noted architect Abram Garfield (son of the President), this
house has a long history as a focal point in the social and cultural life of
Cleveland. It is now owned by Case Western Reserve University and is the
official home of the CWRU President.
The house was built in 1906 for
Jerome Brainard Zerbe, a local coal industrialist, who sold it to Samuel and
Blanche Halle in 1916. (Samuel and his brother Salmon established the famous
Halle Brothers department store.) It remained the Halles' house until after
Samuel Halle's death in 1954.WRU
bought the house in 1987. Approximately one year was spent redecorating and
The popular name "Halle
Mansion" is a fitting one, for it was the Halles who made it one of the
best known of Cleveland's residences. Many illustrious people have been guests
here, including Cole Porter, Sinclair Lewis, George Gershwin, and Sir Winston
Churchill. The bedroom Churchill occupied when he stayed here as a house guest
in 1932 is open to Tour visitors.
In the process of redecorating
and remodeling this 19-room brick house, all the walls and ceilings on the
first and second floors were refinished, acoustic tile was removed from the
ceilings of the great hall and the living room, and the linoleum that had
covered the floor of the hall was removed to expose the original oak floor.
One bathroom on the second
floor was remodeled and the lavatory on the main floor was moved and redone, in
conjunction with the remodeling of the kitchen. In the kitchen, walls were
stripped down to expose the underlying brick, a work island was removed, and
new cooking appliances were installed against a wall.