Memo to those tempted to bypass this house because they saw it on the 1993 Tour: Don't! The reason,
simply put, is that virtually every square foot has been redone. In fact,
only the kitchen and the owners remain more or less the same. And the kitchen—two
levels and dramatically modern—is worth seeing a second time anyway.
All in all, this 3500-square-foot home has been turned into
a marvel of deception: Classically conventional in its outside look, the interior
is sleek, open and airy—a perfect, acoustically sensitive venue for
its two professional musicians. The entire ground floor (with the exception
of the kitchen) is now one large room containing twin
Steinway pianos; avant-garde furniture; a freestanding granite fireplace;
and stripped, pickled and refinished woodwork. Several walls have been removed,
including part of the stairwell. And by literally "raising the roof," the
owners have created an inviting third-floor space that functions as a music
studio, office and guest/media room.
Complementing the home's new
interior are several older items, including many original light fixtures,
refinished oak doors on the second floor, and flooring from an old barn
throughout the main floor living area.
During the remodeling process,
the owners made several interesting discoveries, including the actual age of
the house. The original permit on the home is dated June 30, 1916. However,
county records give the build date as 1920 and the "effective year
built" as 1922. Yet the original owner is first listed in the city
directory of 1914! The present owners now have determined that the house
actually was built in 1910, that it was the first home to be built on the
street, and that an old schoolhouse sat on the property before that. In the course
of remodeling, they also found a time capsule dating
to 1910 in the kitchen wall. It contained a speeding ticket (for going 15 miles per hours on Mayfield Road), a phone bill and a deck of cards.
Lastly the property is an
outdoor delight, with a large deck, a dramatic garden and the opportunity (and
occasionally, obligation) to listen to Cain Park Theatre activities
immediately below the back yard.
- "Virtual" double bass in the living room.
- Recessed lighting added throughout the main
- Stainless steel stairway railing.
- A variety of outstanding artwork by friends and relatives, including original oil paintings by the owner's daughter and CH
resident Corrie Slawson; a quilt created by another relative on the second floor; and textured, leaded-glass
bay windows designed by neighbor Mary Zodnich on the
east wall of the main floor.