The story behind this monumental edifice begins back in 1875 when a
small group of faithful settlers met in the original brick schoolhouse on the
corner of Superior and Euclid Heights Blvd., establishing the first religious
congregation in Cleveland Heights.This
hardy group of dairymen and farmers soon raised their own building adjacent to
the school in 1878 and called themselves the Fairmount Methodist Episcopal
Church.By 1904, a larger facility had
been built at Superior and Hampshire Roads and was named Cleveland Heights
Methodist Episcopal Church.
The present church was designed in French Gothic style by John William
Corbusier and the project was completed by William Foster.The cornerstone, laid on June 6, 1927, had
imbedded in it an ancient stone brought back from the Holy Land by the Reverend
Mr. McCombe.The congregation has been
known thereafter as the Church of the Saviour.The quaint spelling of "Saviour" was perhaps inspired by the plethora of
English street names found in Cleveland Heights.
The splendid interior features ornamental and plain Moravian floor
tiles, a seven-sided pulpit symbolizing redemption, and stained glass windows
conceived by R. Toland Wright and continuously added to by donors.The four-manual organ includes over 2500
The 1950's saw several major expansion projects to serve the evolving
needs of the growing congregation, among them the Myers Memorial Chapel and
South Wing with its educational facilities, the limestone tower and Tower
Carillon, and in 1959 the East Wing was added, incorporating needed classrooms,
a conference room, the church office, and library.