A recent transplant to
Cleveland Heights, this house was originally situated at 2180 Ambleside in
Cleveland's University Circle. Built in 1910, the 180-ton house was moved up
the hill to its present location in August of 1979 to accommodate a Judson Park
expansion. The house shows a distinct Prairie-style influence, as it was
designed by local architect Arthur N. Oviatt, who had been an associate of
Frank Lloyd Wright at the time the house was built.
The present owners have done
extensive structural and decorative renovation with a view to preserving and
enhancing the essential Prairie details. The enclosure of the front porch area
was cleverly designed and skillfully executed. A significant amount of living
space was gained from the unused exterior porch; at the same time, the front
facade of the house was transformed by the addition of the porch windows, which
echo the semi-circular pattern in the third-floor dormers above. The design of
the side windows is principally Prairie.
Ceiling beams and woodwork
throughout the first floor have been faux grained and the walls in the house
have all been resurfaced with a stucco finish. The fireplace mantles and tiles
are custom built and recently added. Of particular interest in the living room
is the massive oak armoire/entertainment center. The size of this piece
dictated that it be built inside the house. The kitchen has undergone
significant structural changes and features custom-made wooden cabinets and
tile backsplashes built with tiles fashioned by the owners' young son.
Upstairs, a wall was knocked
out and a doorway arch added to join the master bedroom and a sitting room. In
the sitting room, the fireplace tiles commemorate notable aspects of he owner's
family history. The upstairs bathroom was completely remodeled. New tile was
installed on floors, walls, and ceiling. The transformation of the third floor
into a teen suite rounds out an extremely lengthy and ambitious renovation of
an architecturally significant house.