This Pennsylvania Colonial (or
"Pennsylvania Farmhouse") style home was built in 1923. The
architects are believed to be the firm of Meade and Hamilton. The gray
fieldstone with raised panel shutters are standard features of Pennsylvania
Dutch homes originally built in Colonial times. Twentieth-century versions were
rarely seen in Northeast Ohio until after 1930, when local architect Munroe
Copper, Jr., designed several dozen in the Heights suburbs.
The house has a center entrance
which combines stone with white trim. The wide front door is framed by niches
and leaded-glass sidelights. There is also a curved iron balcony and a
quasi-Palladian second floor window with a sculptured pediment.
The most striking features of
the interior are: chestnut floors, elegant doors on the main floor, and white
woodwork with fan designs, The woodcarvings are best appreciated in pediments
over several of the doors. The carved inscriptions are doubtless Pennsylvania
Dutch in origin.
First floor highlights include:
a true Colonial living room fireplace of slate and wood with an in-wall
firewood storage compartment, a completely remodeled powder room on several
levels with an exposed brick wall, and a high-tech kitchen. The main stairway
bannister is partially of oak and has been stripped to its original
stained-and-painted Georgian appearance.
The large back yard includes
the original two car garage. An old Colonial wooden fence and exterior cellar
steps suggest an image of Colonial times and materials. In contrast, the large,
new in-ground pool beyond the garage brings the visitor back to the pleasures
of twentieth century recreation.