Born and raised on the West Coast, the current owner of this home feels a
strong sense of commitment to the Cleveland Heights community. She cherishes
her role as homeowner and is thrilled to be able to restore her house. With
an eye to the traditional she has updated it from 1925 to the present day.
The only previous owner of the home was Helen Cole, local artist and philanthropist.
She owned the home from the time it was built, 1925, until the current owner
bought it three years ago.
A new sandstone paver walkway greets you as you approach the home. All windows
throughout the house were replaced by the current owner. All floors were refinished,
wallpaper removed and walls painted. Crown molding was added to bedrooms on
the second floor.
To the right of the entrance is the living room. The fireplace features original
tile and mantle. The linotype (or printers’ box) in the living room is
a garage sale find. Each drawer is designed to hold a different font. Next is
the sunroom. The reupholstered furniture in this room is from a thrift store
in Lakewood. The halfbath in the hall has its original corner sink.
The 1930s radio in the hall is from Oregon, and the French provincial tapestry
is from a garage sale. The dining room features an Art Nouveau buffet from North
Carolina. “Manny” the Mannequin is showing off a dress from the
owner’s antique collection. The hookahs were obtained on the West Coast
and the chandelier was purchased at a thrift store for $9!
Pass the servants’ staircase, and go up to the second floor. The first
bedroom on your left is currently a sewing and craft room. The theater chairs
in the hall are from Oregon. The master bedroom contains Empire mahogany furniture
from New Mexico. Peek into the master bath, which has its original mosaic tile.
The walls were covered in textured wallpaper and then painted. The tub was removed
and a shower installed with a marble seat and shelves.
The bathroom in the hallway also has its original mosaic floor tile and subway
tiles on the walls. The marble tile in the shower was custom cut to complement
existing tiles. The third bedroom contains an Empire dresser and breakfast table.
The fourth bedroom functions as an office. The Arts and Crafts stained glass
window was repaired and reframed by the owner’s father. The desk, which
was bought in Cleveland, has a “stenographer’s” alcove, just
right for a computer.
The third floor, which was originally the servants’ quarters, has a
full bath and two large rooms. When the current owner moved in, she opened the
built-in cabinet on this floor and found a wedding dress. It still had pins
in it as though it were being altered for a fitting.
Finally, go back down the servants’ staircase to the kitchen at the
rear of the first floor. This room was completely redone by the current owner.
With lots of help from her parents, she tore out the butler’s pantry,
took the walls down to stud, put up sheet rock and redesigned the entire room.
The result is this gorgeous, modern kitchen. The toffee stained hickory cabinets
give the kitchen an “old feel.” The room features: Karastan rugs,
commercial-grade faucet, granite countertops and cherry pub table with stools.
Above the breakfast area is a late 1800s Alma Tadema print.
Enter the back yard and follow the natural stone path past the Russian olive
tree to the new sandstone patio. Exit property through the home’s original
iron driveway gate.
• Original mosaic tile in the foyer
• Original glass doorknobs complete with skeleton keys
• Collection of 1940s pin-ups in master bedroom
• Laundry chute and original nook for milk deliveries in kitchen