Myron T. Herrick's home at
2187 Overlook Road stood where the boundary line between Cleveland and
Cleveland Heights does strange things. Cleveland dips up into Cleveland
Heights and down again. The story is that Mr. Herrick was persuaded by
his friend Patrick Calhoun to buy a lot and build in Euclid Heights as
Cleveland Heights was known at that time. Later it suited Mr. Herrick
better to have an address in the city of Cleveland, and vote there. It
was "arranged" to have the boundary changed. That residence,
now Overlook House is in Cleveland and the house next door is in Cleveland
Mr. Herrick was born
in Huntington, Lorain County, Ohio on October 9, 1854. As a young
man he entered Oberlin College but left to go west, as was the custom
of many young men of that day. He found work on a newspaper in St.
Louis. Having saved several hundred dollars he returned to Ohio
and entered Ohio Wesleyan, form which he was graduated. He came
to Cleveland and studied law
Myron T. Herrick
and was admitted
to the bar in 1878.
Mr. Herrick practiced law and became interested in many
business undertakings. His integrity became known throughout the business
world. A friend failed to pay a note which Mr. Herrick had signed. He
paid the note in full. Honesty is valued in the business world. So it
is not surprising that the Society for Savings appointed Mr. Herrick secretary
Civic affairs claimed his attention next. He served on the
City Council from 1885 to 1888. As a registered Republican, he served
in many capacities in the political world. He was governor of Ohio from
1903 to 1905. In 1912 President Taft appointed him Ambassador to France.
When Mr. Wilson was elected by the Democrats, Mr. Herrick offered to resign.
But President Wilson asked him to stay on and he was of great value to
the Allies and to the French during World War I. In 1921 Mr. Herrick was
honored by being names Ambassador Plenipotentiary to France.
His death on March 31, 1929 ended a splendid career of service
in law, business, civic affairs, and diplomacy.